Could you help us to knit some poppies for the month of November? Please see below for the knitting pattern.
To join our project, do contact Revd Barbara. Revd Barbara can also supply black buttons for the centres and safely pins to turn your poppies into brooches.
· Cast on 56 stitches [ if knitting in K2/P2] or 57 [ if knitting in K3/P3]
· Either knit 2 / purl 2 or knit 3 / purl 3 [ according to preference.
· Work 6 rows
· K 2 tog across row [ if 57 stitches there will be an odd stitch ] ( 28 / 28+1)
· K 2 tog across row [ if 57 stitches there will be an odd stitch ] ( 14 / 14+1)
· Lose stitches across row by knitting 2 tog until 10 stitches remain.
· Thread wool though and pull tight.
· Sew up sides together
· Draw centre stitch tight and fasten off.
If you wish to work the red/ purple/white poppies [ purple for animals killed in action and white for peace ] then work 2 rows for each colour [ red/purple / white ] and remaining cast off stitches with red.
Based on DK wool, use No.9 needles